Thai Work Permit Requirements

There are currently new rules when applying for a work permit in Thailand. The requirements for the Thai Work Permit now requires the following when applying for a new work permit or renew your current work permit. The rules appear to vary from location to location so speak to a lawyer as to what is applicable at the time of application. Think of this as the current guide for 2013 as the rules do change often.

  • You need to provide proof of their Education Certificate (Degree + Transcripts);
  • Photo sizes was changed from 5cm x 6 cm now it is 3cm x 4 cm;
  • Photo may not be older than 6 months from date of application;
  • Medical has changed as they want to know and test for the following:
  1. – That you are medically fit;
  2. – Your blood type (new for 2013);
  3. – That you don’t have advanced syphilis (was new in 2007);
  • Map to your office location.

There are also a list of new forms with the new rules and these are attached below.

  • WP 1.: new application for a Thai work permit;
  • WP 5.: extension of your Thai work permit;
  • WP 6.: changes to your work permit, such as adding a company, change in job title.

The WP1 form is listed below. Also ensure that you are not applying for a job which is prohibited in Thailand for a foreigner. Speak to us online for more information about your profession or business in Thailand. Please note, that even if you are married to a Thai this does not mean that you have a right to work in Thailand or that you do not need a degree to apply for a work permit. Your marriage to a Thai gives you no advantage.

Prohibited Occupations in Thailand

Foreigners are allowed to work in Thailand if you have a valid visa, a work permit and are employed with an occupation that does not violate the Alien Employment Act. If you are a foreigner and you intend to work in Thailand, you are subject to the Alien Employment Act, which requires you to have a work permit to be issued by the Department of Employment, Ministry of Labour, or unless it falls within an exception of the said Act.

According to Thai law, foreigners can work in the country but factors such as the national security, as well as the need of alien labour for the development of the country are being considered. Thai nationals are still to be given priority.

Listed below are the businesses that are prohibited to foreigners:

The Alien Business Law (N.E.C. Announcement 281). Business activities falling in categories A & B are generally closed to foreigners. Under category C you must obtain a permit prior to commencing business. Businesses outside these categories are exempt. The Ministry of Commerce will also help applications of non trading offices.

Category A:

1. Agriculture: rice farming; salt farming.
2. Commercial Business: Internal trade in local agriculture products, Land trade.
3. Service business: Accounting, farming animals, architecture, advertising, brokerage, auctioning, Barber, hair dressing & beautician. Building industry.

Category B.

1. Agriculture Business: orchids, cultivation, animal husbandry including silk worm raising, timbering, fishing.
2. Industrial & Handicraft: Rice milling, Flour making, sugar, alcohol & non alcohol drinks, Ice cream, Pharmaceutical manufacturing, cold storage, timber, gold, silver and inlaid stone, wood carving, lacquer-ware, match making, cement etc, Dynamiting rocks, Manufacturing garments & shoes, Printing, newspaper publishing, silk weaving or silk printing, manufacture of finished products in silk.
3. Commercial: all retailing not in category C. Or trading not in Category C, selling food an drinks, trading of antiques & fine arts.
4. Service Industry: Tour agency, Hotels except Hotel management, photography, laundering, dress making and service jobs.
5. Land, water & i.e. Transport.

Category C.

You are allowed to do the following:
Exporting, all wholesale trades not in A & B. retiling machinery, equipment & tools, selling food, beverages that promote tourism. Industrial & handicraft Business: manufacturing animal feeds, vegetable oil extraction, textile manufacturing, dyeing, fabric printing, glass ware manufacturing, making plates and bowls, stationary & printing paper, rock salt mining, mining.

In the category, you have to apply for a work permit in order to do business legally in Thailand.