How to Start Broiler Poultry Farm in India?
For a startup entrepreneur, housing is an important factor to consider establishing a new broiler farming business in your city. You have lots of questions like how to start and build infrastructure i.e. poultry house, techniques to set up a poultry farm, etc. Also you are looking for poultry farming equipments, how to start a poultry farm is the common questions for every new entrepreneur.
Here is the answer of your Questions, this is not that easy to have a proper poultry housing plans before setting up of a broiler poultry farm.
Procedure to Start Broiler Poultry Farm Business:
Types of Broiler Poultry Housing:
Usually, there are three types of broiler poultry farming systems which suit for the environmental conditions in India.
- Extensive farming system
- Intensive farming system
- Semi-Intensive farming system
Formulation of your Business Plan
If you want to Start Broiler Poultry Farm Business, then planning is one of the most important things to consider. This tells you to achieve your goals by setting up a broiler farming business. It is also a plan to operate the business to reach the niche market.
Selection of Breeds For Broiler Chicken Poultry Farms.
You have to select the breeds on the environmental conditions of the your locality. You have to select 1-day-old chicks for your poultry.
Some of the examples for Broiler breeds are as follows
Construction of Broiler Poultry Shed
Point to remember
- Selection of site plays a major role in broiler poultry farming. If you are selecting a site, then make sure that it is spacious.
- The site that you will select should have no Industries or polluting agents in the nearby vicinities.
- The site should have easy access to the nearby market yard.
- It also should have proper transportation facilities.
- To avoid the water logging conditions in the rainy season, you have to select a site in an elevated area.
- You have to select a site where water supply is continuous.
- The power supply must be continuous.
- Make sure that the Design of the shed for broiler poultry farming is in such a way that there are proper ventilation and aeration within the shed.
- The length of the shed should face the East-West direction in order to make an easy movement of natural air within the shed.
There are two types of Poultry shed constructions:
- Deep Litter System
- Cage system.
- For the construction of deep litter housing system
- the birds face no restrictions
- they can roam freely in the poultry shed providing an area of 1sq.ft. for one single bird.
- Repeatedly spreading of sawdust material or bran is beneficial in indoor booths.
- This act as a bedding material for the flock.
- As the birds do defecate in and it is soiled, new layers of littering materials are added by the worker.
- In Cage rearing system, you can raise the poultry birds in smaller components of wire netting. They are nothing but Cages. This system is very effective for layer farming than broiler farming business.
Feeding of Broiler Chickens:
- Feeding management of broiler chicken plays a major and crucial role in poultry chicken farming.
- It is the major cost of inputs in broiler chicken production.
- Furthermore, it has the direct effect on the meat productivity of the poultry birds.
- For effective commercial poultry production, feeding management is an important consideration.
- Since Improper feeding management leads to susceptibility of the flock to diseases, you should be careful regarding the feed.
Types of Feed For Poultry birds:
- Pre-Starter is for birds of age day 1 to 10 days,
- Starter Feed is for birds of age 11 to 22 days,
- While the finisher is for birds of age 23 – 45 days or till marketing.
- Furthermore, Effective Microorganism (EM) liquid is a feed supplement for poultry birds. While EM liquid is a brown colour which is helpful for better broiler production.
- Furthermore, the liquid helps in gaining body weight of the birds, helps in maintaining shed free from flies, ticks, and diseases.
- While you have to apply this Effective Microorganism (EM) liquid along with the feed in gms per kg feed and with feeding water.
· Marketing of Broiler Chicken:
- You can market these Broiler Poultry birds at the nearby market yard or to the poultry dealers.
- The door to door delivery is also one of the options which depend on the locality. Also, the price of the end product, the broiler bird depends on the weight of the bird which will be around 1.7 to 2.5 kg. Furthermore, if all the management practices are effective, the startup entrepreneur will get higher margins.
- These are the different aspects that you have to take care while you are trying to start Broiler Poultry Farm in India. Furthermore, you can check the below link to know the How much investment is required for poultry farming in India?
Budget of Start a Poultry Farm in India
As compared to all the other livestock production, broiler poultry farming requires less investment. Since Advantages of Broiler Poultry Farm are many, now it is a booming business in India. Now, most of the people are trying to get into this business which is providing a lot of profit opportunities.
Most of them don’t know other aspects. For example, How much does it cost to start a poultry farm, How much money can you make chicken farming, chicken farming profit are the common questions that arise in everyone’s mind? We have provided all the information for most of the queries that arise in every startup entrepreneur’s mind.
Expenditure for Establishment Broiler Poultry Farm:
- It is better to start poultry business with 500 birds.
- The duration will be 40-45 days for marketing.
- For starting a business with 500 birds, you require 550 sq.ft area.
- Calculate the total cost of the area which depends on the locality.
Cost of Broiler Poultry Farm Shed:
- For an area of 550 sq.ft, it costs Rs. 82,500 (Rs.150 per sq.ft) approximately.
- However, the total cost of the broiler shed is a one-time investment.
- Various types of poultry sheds are constructed based on the environmental conditions of the area.
- Furthermore, costs of various poultry sheds are given in the below table.
||Cost ( per sq.ft.)
||Flawless finish litter system
||Steel Prefab mess
||Stell pannel type
||HDPE fabricated litter system
Cost of Broiler Chicks:
- All types of bird breeds are available in the market at one day age.
- For Vencobb breeds, It is around Rs. 40 per bird, then for 500 birds, it will be Rs. 20, 000/-.
- Cost of various broiler breed chicks is in the below table.
||Broiler Chicken breed
(in Rupees per chick)
||Amrit cobb 400 Y
||Vencobb 430 Y
Cost of Feed in Broiler Poultry Farm:
- To attain a body weight of 1.5-2 kg, the birds take 3-5 kg feed for 45 days, then for 500 birds, you require 2.0 quintals of feed.
- The average cost of three types of feed is Rs.20 per kg, then for 2000kg feed, the cost will be 2000*20 is equal to Rs. 40000.
- Also, cost of various types of feed used in broiler poultry farm varies and mentioned in the below table.
||Price for 50kg pack
- On an average, you require 2 labours for maintaining the poultry farm with 500 birds. While for each labour, daily wage is around Rs. 150. However, it does vary in different regions in India.
- Furthermore, for one-day, labour cost is around Rs. 300, then for 45 days, it ranges between Rs. 13,000 to Rs. 15,000.
Broiler Poultry Farm Setup Cost in India
Others Costs in Broiler Poultry Farming:
- This includes the incidental expenses like vaccination, water management, electricity, marketing cost etc. You can take these expenses as Rs.20 per bird, then for 1000 birds, it is Rs. 20000/-.
- Furthermore, if you consider mortality as 5%, the cost of such expenses will be Rs. 6000.
Costs and expenditure for establishment of a Broiler poultry farm in India is in the table below (Approximate values)
||Cost of chicks
(Rs. 40 per bird) x 1000
||Cost of feed
(For 30kg x 2000)
||Cost of shed
(for 1000 sq.ft) x Rs 350
||other incidental expenses
(Rs. 15 Per Bird) x 1000
Income Returns in Broiler Poultry Farming Business:
If you take 1kg of chicken, it is around Rs. 100 to Rs.120 per kg. Each bird will gain a weight of 1.5 to 2 kg. Then for each bird, the market value will be Rs.200 – Rs.220. While for 500 birds, if you sell a bird at Rs. 250, you can earn an income of Rs. 1.25 lakh.
||Selling price of birds
( Rs.350 per bird) x 1000
- Costs and profits however also depend upon broiler poultry farm management, quantity and quality of the feed provided.
- It also depends on disease management, vaccinations and other factors. We hope that this guide on How Much Does it Cost to Start a Poultry Farm in India/ Cost of Poultry Farming in India is helpful to you.
- You can share this Broiler Poultry Farm Setup Cost Guide with your friends.
Expected Income Returns from Commercial Broiler Poultry Farming in India
- Earlier we have discussed the Cost of Broiler Poultry Farm. We hope that you have checked that to know the Broiler poultry farming cost project. But starting a Broiler Poultry Farm is easy. But to gain the Broiler Poultry Farm Profit Margin is difficult. At times people do not know the process of Broiler poultry farm profit calculation. Hence we have come up with this guide to let you know the Expected Income Returns from Broiler Poultry Farm in India.
- People have a doubt about How much is investment is required to set up poultry farm business in India. Income returns from broiler poultry farming business fluctuate with the time period. It is quite profitable in the sense that gives good returns for the time. As it provides more amount than what you have invested and energy spent on it. Profits and incomes however also depend upon broiler poultry farm management. It also depends on the quantity and quality of the feed provided, disease management, vaccinations and other factors. Nowadays broiler industry is a highly technical agricultural industry and rapidly changing. The grower or the startup businessman gets benefits from the economies of scale and reduced transaction costs and also reduces the risks associated with price fluctuations.
If you consider broiler poultry farming business under contract farming it provides huge employment opportunities. Profits depend upon the farm management, quality of the feed provided, methods of feeding, control of broiler diseases, vaccination. Hence we have incorporated each and every information regarding it. Furthermore check below to know more in detail.
Weight and cost of various broiler poultry breeds in India
We have mentioned the weight of the various broiler breeds after 42-45 days and cost of various broiler breeds in markets in the below table.
||Broiler chicken breed
||Weight of bird gained
||Cost in Rs per Kg
||Amrit cobb 400 Y
||Vencob 430 Y
- You can sell the Broiler Poultry birds at the nearby market yard or to the poultry dealers.
- The door to door delivery is also one of the options which depend on the locality.
- The price of the end product, the broiler bird depends on the weight of the bird which is around 1.7 to 2.5 kg.
- If all the management practices are effective, the startup entrepreneur will get higher income returns.
How to calculate Income from Broiler Poultry Farming Business
- If you take one kg of chicken it is around RS.120 to Rs.180 per kg that varies from breed to breed.
- A broiler breed gains around 2 to 2.8 kg after 40-45 days of commercial rearing.
- For example, if we consider a broiler breed like Vencobb 430 Y, it gains around 2.62 kg weight and it costs Rs.190 per kg in the market.
- So, for 500 birds with 4% mortality rate (means 480 birds), 480*2.5kg chicken meat, we get 1200 kg of produce.
- For 1200 kg we get Rs.2,28,000 if it is Rs.190 per kilogram.
- In the same way, income calculation is the same for all the types of broiler breeds for broiler poultry farming business.
NOTE: Cost of various chicken breeds and chicken meat varies from place to place and region to region.
- We hope that the above information on Broiler Poultry Farming Income.
- We have tried our best to bring you the accurate information.
- If you still have any kind of queries regarding the Broiler Poultry Farming Income in India, then you can contact us via the comment section.
Importance of Broiler Poultry Farming Business in India
- If you are looking to establish a business like a broiler poultry production, then this is the right place for your search.
- How broiler chickens are produced, how to raise them, how much it costs to establish the broiler poultry farm, these type of doubts will raise in every startup entrepreneur who is willing to establish the broiler poultry farm business.
- All the information regarding the establishment of the business like the cost of chickens, cost of shed construction, management practices to get higher margins of income will be provided to you.
- Broiler poultry farming is the commercial production of chickens for meat.
Scope Of Broiler Poultry Farming in India:
- In India, there is great demand for chicken meat. Broiler chicken farming in India had well developed in the recent past as people from villages, towns, and cities are preferring chicken meat in their day to day life.
- Most of the households in India prefer chicken meat rather than the other meat like mutton, beef, and pork.
- Management practices have been improved to establish the business.
- Disease and mortality rate in the farm has declined.
- To establish a business like a broiler poultry farming, many government organisations are providing training facilities and loans.
- For rearing of 100 chickens, it requires just Rs.10000 as fixed capital which is easily affordable by any startup entrepreneur.
- In India, broiler chicken production is increasing at a rate of 10% to 12% per annum.
- When you compare with all the other agricultural sector, there is a high growth rate of income in this sector.
- The poultry industry estimated at Rs 67,000 crore, of which eggs are Rs 25,000 crore. This sector provides support to livelihoods for around 25 million people. The marketing chains in this sector are evolving rapidly.
- Fast-food enterprise chains like KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken), Dominos, Mc.D etc. have been started which depends on broiler chicken farming. Nowadays there is also a great export value of broiler chicken produce in India. These are the different Broiler Poultry Farming Importance.
Benefits of Broiler Poultry Farming | Broiler Poultry Farming Importance:
- As compared to all the other livestock production, broiler poultry farming requires less investment. Hence there are a number of Broiler Poultry Farming Importance.
- This sector gives rapid returns in investment as broilers can be marketed in six to eight weeks. There is a huge demand for broiler meat in Indian markets.
- Broiler meat contains more amounts of proteins and essential amino acids when you compare other meats. When you compare with the other meat, broiler meat contains less fat and cholesterol.
- Poultry feathers are also helpful as raw materials for making pillows and fancy products.
- The interval between the generations is very small and hence one can increase the productivity at a short interval of time.
- Furthermore, Broiler poultry farming is a continuous source of income. As poultry farming is not a seasonal, you can earn margins throughout the year.
- The requirement of water for feeding and rearing is relatively less when you compare with other livestock production.
- The Litter is very helpful in the form of Organic Manure for field crops. Large quantities of poultry feeds are byproducts like bran, substandard grains, vegetables which are available at low prices.
- Broiler poultry farming on a small scale requires minimum space. Hence you can rear them at the backyards of homes.
- Rich source or Nitrogen and other minerals are present in poultry droppings. These droppings are helpful as organic fertilizers for crops.
- This business provides both full time or part time opportunities for startup entrepreneurs.
Drawbacks of Broiler Poultry Farming:
- Considerably there are no disadvantages for establishing a broiler poultry farming business.
- However, one should consider following all the management strategies. This will certainly help to maintain higher outputs from the startup business.
- Various types of pathogens like viruses, bacteria and fungi cause diseases to the bird’s flock.
- Improper management of light and water facilities in the shed causes the decrease in the body weight of the birds which reduces the marketing value.
- The startup entrepreneur will face a huge loss if the flock is prone to any contagious diseases.
We hope that this advantages of broiler farming techniques have helped you. We have many other aspects in broiler farming guide or broiler chicken farming business plan. While you can check them which will help you to know how to start broiler farming.
Hope you will be get benefited by this article. Please follow our blog for more business setup articles.
for poultry farm setup and supply please contact us at email@example.com
for Purchase of Database of Feed and Fodder companies Click on links to buy
Fodder seed farms & agriculture industries (in PDF All India State wise Data)
This Pdf file contains data of All India Dairy Fodder seed farms & agriculture industries, Company Name / Factory / Branch Office Address, Phone , Fax, Mobile, Website, Email, Products Details etc State wise updated till march 2016.